On Wednesday, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney reacted angrily to the US President Donald Trump’s imposition of import tariffs on cars.
Carney calls it a “direct attack” on his country’s workers. Carney said, “We will defend our workers. We’ll defend our companies. We’ll defend our country. And we’ll defend it together”.
He said in an address, “This will hurt us, but through this period, by being together, we will emerge stronger,” he said in an address.
Canadian PM said, “We’ve announced, of course, retaliatory tariffs. We have other options for those retaliatory tariffs”.
Shortly beforehand, Trump had announced a permanent 25 % import tariff on all cars and light trucks not made in the United States. Additionally, about 50 % of cars sold in the United States are manufactured within the country.
About half come from Mexico and Canada among imports, which have integrated supply chains with the US industry under a trilateral free trade agreement.
Previously Trump imposed tariffs on the two countries, but had offered automakers a temporary reprieve. Carney was speaking following a meeting with autoworkers and labor leaders, and vowed that any funds raised from Canada’s retaliatory tariffs would be used to support their jobs.
Mark further added, “This is a direct attack, to be clear, a direct attack on the very workers that I stood in front of this morning at the Ambassador Bridge which connects the Canadian city of Windsor to Detroit, renowned as the hub of the US auto industry”.
Comments